Basic Lesson 1 – Black Orpheus
- Explanation and Overview
- Study Notes
- Soundslice Lesson
- Previous Versions of Lesson (Part 1 and 2)
Download Here: Black Orpheus Study Notes
Title: Black Orpheus (Manhã De Carnaval)
Key : A minor
Time : 4/4
Composer: Luis Bonfa (1922-2001) was a celebrated Brasilian guitarist famous for this particular song Manha De Carnaval which was featured in the production of Orfeu da Conceição also known as Black Orpheus. Bonfa worked alongside the likes of Jobim, Stan Getz and Moraes in Brasil and later with Quincy Jones, Frank Sinatra, and George Benson in the US. He study guitar initially with Isaias Savio.
- Two sections – Binary form
- Melody and Bossa Nova accompaniment.
- Some Extended chords
- Intro in Triplets
- Overall take your time with Phrasing the melody, it may take some time before the whole things sounding consistent and flowing.
- Cirlce of fifths bars 15 to 19
- Practice smooth transition between chords by first playing them as block chords.
- Bring out melody by playing it rest stroke when you can
- Try intro on its own as an exercise
- Try ars 8 and 9 as exercise
- Use melody as a guide to phrasing and tempo
- Listen to sung versions.
Previous Versions of this Lesson
You can download the pdf here :ORPHEUS – Full Score